Saturday, October 17, 2015

This Gringo Can Make Flour Tortillas

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vCkmye5pZy09Yq36EfFXA

Hi Folk's,

When I started this blog, and my youtube channel, a few of my many intentions were:

1. Make recipes that were cheap, easy and delicious.
2. Make recipes that were of foods I really loved, but I had never made before.
3. Show people that if I could do it, so could they ( a prime example being my videos on youtube, I've only made a few so far, and it is definitely a learning experience, I think I could almost call them " How Not To Make A Youtube Video", but they are getting better( I hope).

So one of my favorite cuisines is Mexican, I can make a few things, enchiladas, tacos, refried bean and Spanish/Mexican rice, but that was pretty much my repertoire.

So to expand my repertoire I decided I needed to make flour tortillas, so that's what I did, and I found that they are incredibly easy to make. The only equipment you need other than a hot pan is a rolling pin to roll them out, ( this isn't something I have, because the only baking I have previously done didn't require one, so I used a jar, yes a jar), anyway you will need:

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of cooking oil I used vegetable
3/4 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl add oil and water, mix until combined ( you may need to add a little bit more water, you just want it to come together).

Place dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 2 minutes, adding a little bit of flour if needed, you just want dough to come together in a nice, smooth elastic ball. After kneading for 2 minutes, place dough back into bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let rest for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes uncover dough, and divide into 8-10 equally sized balls ( about golf ball size), place balls on a plate, cover with damp towel and wait 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes place a dry pan (no oil), that you will use to cook the tortillas on, to medium high heat, you want it hot enough so that the tortillas will cook quickly but not burn. Keep an eye on it while you roll out the tortillas, it doesn't take long to roll them out and the pan should be ready for cooking when you are finished rolling them out.

Uncover the dough balls, place one one a lightly floured surface, press down flat, dust with flour and roll out to desired thinness ,(you should have about an 6-8 inch in diameter circular object when you are done). Roll out all the balls in this manner, if you stack the rolled out tortillas on top of each other,  dust with a little bit of flour between layers, so they don't stick together. After all are rolled out you ready to cook.

Place one tortilla in heated pan, cook for about 1 minute, edges of tortilla will begin to curl up a little, and surface will begin to get little bubbles, tortilla may puff up, just press back down with spatula or tongs, peek under tortilla after 30 seconds or so, tortilla should be be browning, but not burning, flip tortilla over after 1 minute and cook for about another minute, Remove from pan and place tortilla between a dry towel, ( if you have a tortilla warmer you can place towel and tortilla inside but the towel alone will keep tortillas warm), continue cooking tortillas in this manner until all are done.

I would recommend testing the first tortilla you cook, to make sure it is done, just tear of a piece, and consume, you should find it to be one of the best, if not the best,  flour tortillas you have ever had.

Serve tortillas warm.
 
So back to the subject of my intentions for this blog:

1.This recipe is pretty easy, it's certainly cheap and it is delicious.

2. I have eaten a lot of flour tortillas but never made them, and now that I have,  I really can't imagine purchasing them again, they are so easy, and so much cheaper and so much better.

A couple of my next endeavors will be corn tortillas, and tamales.


Happy eating,  and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment