Friday, November 20, 2015

Yummy Fried Chicken


Hi Folks,

I was really craving some homemade fried chicken, so I cooked up these chicken legs. I brown this chicken first in oil, finish cooking in the oven and then recrisp in oil for a few minutes.This is how I did it.

First I preheated my oven to 400 degrees, then I heated 1/4 inch of cooking oil  ( I used Crisco vegetable oil ) to 325 degrees.

While the oven and oil heated I got everything ready. to cook my chicken.




To two cups of all purpose flour ( I like to use several plastic grocery bags for my dry ingredients) I added my seasonings:


1 Tablespoon of garlic powder
1 Tablespoon of onion powder
1 Tablespoon of white pepper
1 Tablespoon of ground sage
1 Tablespoon of oregano
1 Tablespoon of paprika
1 Tablespoon of chili powder
1 Tablespoon of salt














In a large bowl I beat 2 eggs with 2 cups of milk.








I mixed the flour and spices together until well mixed, I added my chicken one piece at a time, coating each piece with the flour mixture, and shaking off the excess flour before adding chicken to the milk and egg mixture.


I coated the chicken on both sides with the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off before adding chicken back into flour mixture.





Covered the chicken well with the flour mixture and then into the hot oil.


















I floured 3 more pieces of chicken in the same manner and added them to my pan, I cooked them for several minutes on each side until golden brown. I was cooking 8 chicken legs so I divided it into 2 batches so as not to cool down the oil too much.

I transferred the chicken to a parchment ( you can use aluminum foil) lined cookie sheet with a wire rack. If you don't have a wire rack just a cookie sheet will do, and the foil/paper isn't necessary it just aides in the cleanup.


I floured and browned  the remaining 4 chicken legs in the same manner, and placed the cookie sheet in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken reached 165 degrees. If you don't have a meat thermometer just make a slit in a piece of chicken next to the bone and see if it is still bloody, if it is cook chicken until no longer bloody.

After the chicken was fully cooked I reheated the oil I had browned the chicken in, to 325 degrees and added the chicken back to the pan. It seems like some areas of my chicken always get a little soggy when they finish cooking in the oven, so this last step eliminates that, and produces really crunchy chicken.
As the chicken was hot from the oven I didn't need to crisp it up in batches, so I just put as much chicken in the pan as I could ( it all fit) and fried on all sides until totally crisp.

Removed the chicken from the pan, and drained on paper towels.


Then enjoyed my delicious crispy fried chicken.

Thanks for reading, I hope you try and enjoy this recipe. Roy












No comments:

Post a Comment