Sunday, November 8, 2015

Chicken Tostados







Hi Folks,

Today I decided to have Chicken Tostados for lunch, here is how I made them.




I started with two corn tortillas, I heated 1/4 inch of oil until it began to shimmer which indicated the oil was ready to use, I fried the tortillas until crisp, about 30 seconds on each side.

As I have said in other posts, when I started this blog, one of the goals I had was to try cooking things I had never cooked before.

Well the tortillas I used, I made myself, they are really not hard to make, nor do they take much time. I will do a post about them on another day.


After crisping the tortillas I smeared them with two tablespoons of homemade refried beans I made with a can of pinto beans, but you can use a can of ready made refried beans, I just like having some control, over the ingredients. Here's the recipe I used for my refried beans.

Refried Beans

1 -  15.5 ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup of chicken stock
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder

In a medium size pan bring the chicken stock and the seasonings to a boil, add the beans and bring back to a boil. Remove pan from heat and mash beans with a potato masher until desired texture is achieved, sometimes I like them totally smooth, and sometimes I want some beans left whole.

  I then add 1/2 cup of shredded chicken,  mixed with 2 tablespoons of salsa. I used the homemade tomatillo salsa recipe I have on this blog, but you can use your favorite salsa.
 Then added 1 tablespoon of diced onion to each.
 Then I added 1 tablespoon of chili sauce to each, the recipe for chili sauce is below, but if you have some Taco Bell type of salsa packets those will do just fine.

Chili Sauce

1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon cornstarch

In a small sauce pan bring first 5 ingredients to a boil reduce to simmer and cook until reduced by 1/3 ( you should have about 1 cup of liquid ), mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of chicken stock, stir until dissolved, and slowly add to simmering mixture and whisk for 1 minute. Sauce should be thickened and smooth, you can strain sauce if needed.


Add 1/2 cup of lettuce,

1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese,














1 tablespoon diced tomatoes,


and top with sour cream. I topped mine with the sauce below.


Chipoltle in Adobo and Lime Sour Cream Sauce

1 cup of sour cream
juice of 1 lime
1 chipotle jalapeno and 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce

Place ingredients into blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into container and spoon over Tostados.

You can omit the chipotle and abobo and just use the lime juice and sour cream to make a delicious sauce also.

I hope you try, and enjoy this recipe.

Thanks for reading, Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment